Chhath Puja Vidhi
ॐ सूर्य देवं नमस्ते स्तु गृहाणं करूणा करं |
अर्घ्यं च फ़लं संयुक्त गन्ध माल्याक्षतै युतम् ||
Below mentioned is a step-by-step guide to Chhath Puja Vidi:
- First of all take a sacred piece of cloth and spread it over the holy area or the puja sthan.
- Place the idols of Lord Ganesha and Lord Surya on the red cloth.
- Start with the puja/worship process; put Roli (vermillion) on Lord Ganesha and Lord Surya’s forehead.
- Put Chawal (rice) on the forehead of both idols. Make sure the pieces of rice aren’t broken.
- Lit incense sticks (Agarbatti) and wave gently in front of the idols.
- Lit the Deepak of ghee in front of the idols and offer Prasad like fruits to Lord Ganesha and Lord Surya.
- Take a little Chandan (sandal) in your mouth and keep it until sun rises.
- After taking the sandal in your mouth you can either stand still or sit till the sun rises.
- If possible visit a Surya Mandir (Sun Temple).
- After sunrise, perform the same puja.
- Offer holy water to the rising sun.
- Distribute the khajur (date) among your family members and friends.